Wednesday, 13 July 2016

NYX Haul & First Impressions

Now that NYX is available in Boots, it means us UK makeup lovers can delight in budget beauty heaven like our American neighbours have been for the longest time. Cue excited beauty bloggers everywhere...


Now I'm aware that NYX now being stocked in Boots means there is going to be tons of posts on this brand and probably these products, but I couldn't resist putting this up!

I was a little bit late to the party and by the time I went to splurge, the most talked about products had already been snatched up so I decided to pick up a few things that interested me and that I wanted to try out for myself.


First up, I got the NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer (annoyingly, Boots don't have a lot of the products listed online so I have had to link to the American NYX website, sorry!)

I had heard this mentioned in a few tutorials so wanted to give it a go for myself. When I tried it out, I can't lie, I was disappointed! Mine was super watery and even after shaking the tube for a while all I could get out of it was a milky watery liquid which definitely didn't do anything to help the staying power of my makeup.

Now that I have squeezed all the water out of it and shook it up again, I can now use the primer itself. It is super velvety, similar to the feel of the Benefit Porefessional, (which if I'm honest I do prefer) and as much as I haven't noticed my makeup staying on longer, it does give me a really soft base to work products into which I like.

The next thing I picked up was the NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray which is something I didn't even know that NYX did! They do a matte finish and a dewy finish version but I wanted to try out the matte one as getting the formula right so that a liquid helps your makeup set matte is tricky! I wanted to really test them!

The first thing I noticed about this is that it smells really chemically when you spray it, which isn't great! Nobody wants a chemical smelling face! Saying that, it did keep my makeup in place and the smell does subside after a little while.

What I did really like about this product was it's size. On it's size alone I would chose to take it with me whenever I travel over something like the Fix+ or Urban Decay setting spray as it takes up hardly any room and does set product nicely. 

Next up is something I heard Nicole Guerrero talking about on YouTube. It's the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils - I got one in the shade 625 Sparkle Nude and one in 609 French Fries.

These are super soft, blendable eye crayons which you can use for so many different things. I mainly use mine either as a shadow base to pack a shadow on top of, or on their own if I want a super quick and easy eye look.

The colour 625 Sparkle Nude is a really soft gold shimmer with silver reflex sparkle in it. I love using this as an all over shadow and then just packing some shimmer into the inner corner for a super easy bright eye.
609 French Fries is another shimmer but this time it is a darker mocha brown with a bronzy shimmer running through it. This is great for using in smoky eyes as you can blend creamy products out so easily.
I want to get these pencils in every colour, I love them!

I had previously tried the NYX HD Concealer that I picked up from ASOS a while back and I loved it but when it ran out I couldn't remember the shade to reorder and didn't have anywhere I could swatch before buying it! 
Finally, I got my hands on it again, this time in the shade CW02 Fair which is a really light bright yellowy tone which I add into my under eye concealer before blending so that I get coverage and highlight under there. 

This has always been a firm favourite and I'm so glad I can now get hold of it so easily!

Last but not least, I picked up the NYX HD Finishing Powder in translucent. This is a very soft powder, perfect for setting the under eye area or brushing out any baking that you might have done.

This powder has a super filmy feeling to it, almost silicony in the hands which feels amazing on the skin and gives a super diffused finish to the foundation. I have been really loving this and would definitely recommend it!
The only thing I would say is be careful not to pack this on heavily under the eye as it can leave a super white cast if you do!

Overall, I think it was a mixed bag of what I was impressed with and what I wasn't so that means I will have to try a few more products out before I can determine what I think of the brand as a whole. This time around, I have definitely found a few gems I know I'll keep using.

Sorry that this post has been super wordy and less visual! I just wanted to give you my opinions and explanations on these products so that you know if you should try them out for yourself. If you do, feel free to let me know what you think in the comments below!

Shona x
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. So many great NYX products here, love the sound of the Jumbo Eye Pencils and the Finishing Powder in particular. NYX is definitely a brand I need to experiment with more x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have been loving NYX, definitely think you should try them out! X

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for a new concealer, will definitely give this one a try!

    If you have the time, I would love it if you could check my blog! I just started and am desperately in need of tips and opinions to better myself. Only if you feel like it of course!

    With love,
    http://dilarabosak.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I would really recommend the concealer! X

      Delete
  3. The nyx stand in boots is always sooo busy x

    http://beauty-voguex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same at my local Boots! Now I can see why! X

      Delete
  4. Ah I wish my local Boots had a NYX stand! You got some great things, I love the sound of the Jumbo Eye Pencils! x

    http://luxuryblush.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local Boots has only recently got the NYX stand in so maybe there will be one in yours soon! Thanks for your comment x

      Delete

© Miss Shona O. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig