Wednesday, 9 March 2016

NARS vs Jemma Kidd

A massive part of my makeup routine when doing a full glam look is sculpting and contouring my face. There are so many brushes and tools out there to help achieve the dream look. I have 2 brushes that I have used over the last few months that I want to share with you.


When the whole contouring trend came about I already owned my Jemma Kidd retractable cheek brush which at the time the inexperienced me, used to pack on the bright pink blush.
Now, a little further down the line and many beauty mistakes later, I now think I have moved onto bigger and better things in the shape of the NARS kabuki brush.

Design/Aesthetics

Personally, I think the NARS kabuki brush is one of the best looking brushes I have ever seen. The brush is all black and to make it even better it is all matte black. This brush is what I would expect to see if an Instagram inspiration page created a beauty range.

I am not a fan of the Jemma Kidd design. Although I like the practicality of the retractable quality it isn't great to look at but lets be honest we don't buy brushes to look at them (except for the NARS one!)

The NARS kabuki brush definitely wins on looks!

Brush Quality

I don't have any complaints about the quality of either brushes. Although they are designed for a similar purpose, they both do very different things which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing.

The Jemma Kidd brush is very good at picking up product and it does apply the pigment very heavily onto the skin. The brush itself is very densely packed and tapered into a a half moon domed top. 
I have found this brush is much better when applying product lightly and building up the intensity rather than trying to achieve the end look too quickly which often creates a muddy look on the cheekbones. I definitely recommend this brush for pressed pigment product rather than loose pigments.

The NARS brush is designed to give a very strong, sculpted look along the cheekbones. The bristles on this brush are very soft and very sparsely set in the head of the brush. This makes the application of product super easy as it used the fluffy design to buff product into the skin whether you are using a pressed or loose pigment. Again, the NARS brush comes out on top.


Size

Neither brush is very big, however the fact that the Jemma Kidd brush retracts gives it a heads up in this area.

Although both brushes are very thin, the NARS brush has a very wide handle. This could make it difficult for some people to use it, personally I like this as I find it actually helps to get the product into the exact sharp shape you need as the way the brush sits in your hand helps you hold it in the correct position.

In terms of travelling, I would say the Jemma Kidd brush wins due to the practicality and the fact that it is much smaller than the NARS option.

Conclusion

I was hoping to do a section on price and judge the brushes based on their retail prices however I couldn't find a link to the Jemma Kidd brush anywhere. The NARS brush is very expensive so based off of that I can't imagine the Jemma Kidd brush being more than the crazy asking price of NARS.

Based on all the points above, I would have to say the NARS kabuki brush wins this war. I love both brushes and both have served me well over the time I have been contouring but I upgraded my brush for a reason and I definitely think the NARS kabuki is the better brush for achieving the look I want.

Let me know what you think and if you have either of these brushes or feel free to recommend anything you think I should try out.

Shona x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Miss Shona O. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig